Saturday 21 May 2011

Potatoes the frugal way

As we have the waning moon (good for root development and plants with fruits underground) and also in Capricorn, an earth sign, also good for root development, I thought I shall try out something really frugal which I had seen recently on "Superscrimpers". I used up potatoes which had already sprouted and potted up the sprouted peel: 




I don't normally buy seed potatoes anyway, I only ever use up sprouted old potatoes or if there is an old bag of seed potatoes drastically reduced. 

Usually I plant potatoes where I want to get a piece of ground cleared off perennial weeds as my plot suffers badly from ground elder, polygonum and couch grass, also creeping buttercup, docks and thistles. 
This has worked well so far (though not for docks and thistles), so I decided to venture with my potatoes this year into the chicken plot (the piece of garden which was meant to be for the hens, but they would not respect the boundaries and have taken over the whole garden), as they don't use their plot anyway. They are only where humans are, so if I want them to eat and reduce the ground elder, which they are supposed to like, I have to want to harvest it for myself (I like them as well, the young shoots are better than spinach) then they'll come running and try and beat me to it.







No comments:

Post a Comment