Wednesday 11 May 2011

Perennial Vegetables, an attempt on Broccoli

Perennial Broccoli? I had decided to grow more and more perennial
vegetables, as I already have a few and they are so practical.
I grow for example perennial spinach (leaf beet), of that I let a plant go to self-seed and don't have ever to bother again with buying seeds for that again, as it is coming up so nicely. 
I also have Jerusalem artichokes which come again, a globe artichoke,
which nearly did not survive this years cold winter but is doing fine now, rocket
and of course all my berries and soft fruit. I decided to give the one perennial broccoli variety I could find named "Nine Star" a try and got 30 seeds of ebay. First mistake. Only 10 of them germinated and half of them were brussel sprouts. Then the harsh winter came and wrecked the majority of my nine stars. I had one surviving plant left which developed a nice head by end of April:



We had it for dinner one night and I have to say I much prefer the
taste of broccoli and calabrese. This tasted like a mixture of
cauliflower and broccoli, and considering the space it takes up in the
garden  (90 sq cm per plant) and by the looks only delivering the one
flower head per plant I am still not so sure if I shall have another attempt with them this year or rather experiment with a variety of sprouting broccolis instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment